Saturday, August 22, 2015

a New bag

I'd been wanting to make a new bag, but was having trouble deciding on something.  Then I remembered this old Burlap Pinto Bean Bag I bought at a thrift store a few years ago.  I had cleaned it up, cut it out and sewed a border around it, but it just sat in my stash...Until a couple weeks ago.

I decided I wanted a tall bag with a shoulder/cross body strap.  I wanted the top to flop over and I wanted a zippered pocket on the outside to keep some things (like keys or glasses) within easy reach.

This is what I came up with.  I used a drop cloth for the back, handles and inside lining.

{I kind of love the sombrero!}

{Wonder what people think when they see me walk by??}

{The button detail didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped, but I like it.}

{This is the flap that hangs over the back.  The zipper is underneath.}

{Here is the back side with the zippered pocket.  When I don't want the giant sombrero showing, I can flop the bag over the other way and this can be the side that shows.}

I'm on the look out now for some coffee bean bags.  

Linking up to Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday

Our Life in a Click:  Friday Favorites #121

Sunny Simple Life: Simple Saturdays Blog Hop

Funky Junk Interiors: an Upcycled Link Party

3 comments:

  1. That's a very cool bag. If I saw you with it, and I was nearby, I would tell you so. You make it sound so easy to sew. I could go for a mini version of your style of a bag. Maybe I can figure it out.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I am a huge fan of burlap bags & wish I knew how to sew. I always cheat & use fabric glue but it is nowhere near the same. Thanks for sharing at Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! Love the buttons on the bottom corners. I have 2 printed burlap bags I've been holding on to - can't remember what's printed on them but I think they need a new home! Wink* Wink*

    ReplyDelete