Thursday, October 2, 2014

Thrifted Throw Pillow

Day 2 

I love to wear old flannel shirts.  I always check the men's shirt aisle when we're at a thrift store.  I found this one last year, but it fit weird.

{Sorry for the fuzzy picture.  Our lens is being difficult or I would have tried again!}

I tried it on again this year and it's just too square.  I wasn't sure what to do with it, then I found House of Hawthornes and her DIY No-Sew Shirt Pillow.  I decided to try making a pillow out of my shirt.

First I cut my shirt into a square that I THOUGHT would fit my pillow (I even measured my pillow!).  Nope.  The first pillow was a little on the tubby side.  Second pillow was a little less tubby, but fit ok.  I decided to go for the SEW version, rather than the NO-sew.  I just put the pieces right sides together and sewed all the way around a couple times.  Before you go thinking I'm incapable...I sewed all the way around because I planned to use the buttons to open and close the pillow cover.


Here's what he looks like all finished.  (It was a man's shirt, so yes, the pillow is a "he".)



I put him out on the sun porch for now.  I tried to take pictures of the just cleaned porch for you, but my camera wouldn't cooperate.  I guess I'll save that for another blog post.


I have some shirt scraps left over and have plans for those as well!  Stay tuned...


I almost forgot to mention...The pillows are thrifted as well!  I have a little collection of thrifted down pillows.  I haven't paid more than $3 for any of them.  Usually they have ugly covers, but you can easily rip them off (or unzip them) and add your own cover.  (After washing of course!)



Linking up to Jenny Matlock's ALPHABE-THURSDAY.

For more on my 31 Days of Home click HERE





3 comments:

  1. I love old flannel shirts too. I have some that are 20 years old and still warm and comfortable...

    Love the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the COOLEST pillow! Nice job and FAB idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! wondering what you will do with the scraps...

    ReplyDelete