Saturday, October 11, 2014

A Tutu for You

Day 10


Saturday my daughter is taking part in The Color Run.  She is going with a group of friends and they decided they'd all wear a tutu.  She was going to go shopping with her friends and buy one.  As I was looking through my fabric stash I found some tulle.  My aunt recently brought me a bunch of fabric and sewing accessories she had received, but didn't want.  Some of the tulle had been cut into tiny strips and tied together.  I'm thinking maybe someone was planning to crochet it into dish rags or something??  Anyway, I asked my daughter if she'd want me to try making her a tutu and she said ok.


Yesterday I sat and cut the long strips into shorter strips, then cut the remaining piece into 4 inch strips.  We measured her waist and I cut and sewed a piece of elastic for the waistband, then attached all of the tulle....It was way too long, so I removed each piece and cut every one of them in half and tied them on again.  It's looking good, but could be a little more full.  We plan to go out today in search of more tulle or ribbon.

Ok...scratch that.  I was at the store looking at all the colors of tulle and called home to see if she'd like a different color.  (She thought one of her friends already had purple.)  Yellow?  Yellow it is.


I bought some wide grossgrain ribbon to use for a waist band, but we ended up using a few strips to fill in some empty spaces.


I also found some really cool kind of translucent rainbow ribbon in my stash and thought it would be fun to add a few strands of that.  It just looks blue and pink here, but it really does have all the colors of the rainbow.  It looks pretty good, if I do say so myself!  


We also went out and bought more purple to add to the original tutu just in case one of her friends still needed one.


They were fun to make and easy as well.  I'd tell you how to do it, but there are instructions ALL over the internet if you really want to know.


For more of my 31 Days of HOME, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment