Thursday, April 11, 2013

United Kingdom

I tried and tried to come up with a city we've been to that began with the letter "U" and just couldn't do it.  Thanks to Jim for mentioning the UK in a comment yesterday.  Duh, we lived there for 4 years!  We were there from 1997 - 2001.

We loved living there, but by the end we were ready to move on.  That happens with every place we've lived.  By the end we're ready for our next adventure!  Once we move on to our next adventure though, we very much miss the last!

Our oldest two kids started school there and went to a British school in our neighborhood.  It was so fun to experience.  Our son even had a British accent for a while.  It was so cute!  Our two younger daughters were born there.  We left when they were just 1 and 2, so they don't even remember, but they love the fact that they were born there!

{1997 - Mike and the kids in front of Sampson's Tower in the Abbey Gardens - Bury St Edmunds.}

{In 1998 we took a trip up to Nottingham and Sherwood's Forest.  We saw all kinds of canal boats in the waters around Nottingham.  Wouldn't it be fun to explore England that way?}

{1998 - One of our many trips to London - Buckingham Palace as seen from a tour bus.}

{In 1998, Taco Bell came to our base!  We were SO excited we waited in line 45 minutes, then drove home  almost 30 to eat it!!!  It was delicious, by the way!}

{1999 - Ely Cathedral in Ely.}

{October 2007 - London.  While living in Italy I got the chance to go back to England and visit some good friends a few times.}

{October 2008 - I went back with Taylor.  Here we are back in the Abbey Gardens from the picture above.}

{February 2009 - My last visit to England.}

I hope we can make it back to visit some day!

For more of the letter U, visit Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday.


12 comments:

  1. Some great memories for you & your family - love the photography!

    Have a great weekend too,

    Visiting from Alphabe-Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have great memories of my visit to London -- especially the Changing of the Guard (in the rain, of course!), the Beefeaters, and Wimpy burgers which were the closest thing to a hamburger back in the late 60s!!
    Super pics and memories for U!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Monica, for this lovely tour. The Abbey Gardens at the St Edmunds are soooo pretty as are most of the U.K. gardens. We are missing our annual trip to London this April but are planning big time for July when a couple of BDays will be there for Karen and KP.

    I have a Tree Hugger link on my blog today. Thank you for mentioning me here.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to visit London! It's on the bucket list...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the UK never even thought about using that for my post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great place to live for a few years. Isn't it funny how we can sometimes miss something like the obvious U-word? Your confdssion made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a brave woman. I like staying in one place and visiting for short bursts in other places. London is one of those countries I'd like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the moss-covered building. I've never been anywhere outside the U.S. except for Waterton, Canada and Tijuana, Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter lived in Newcastle for a year and we enjoyed a visit to the United Kingdom. Your post brought back fun memories with Mind the Gap and taxis. We loved London with its cathedrals and Parliament.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH I so wish I could have made it over there when we where closer. Maybe one day I will back it over there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful photos...what a wonderful life you've led....leading! Thanks for sharing a piece of your world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been to the UK once and would love to go again! It would be neat to take a trip there. I've always wanted to do the long boats! They look fascinating to me!

    Thanks for a fUn link for the letter "U".

    A+

    ReplyDelete