Sunday, October 6, 2013

Kancamagus Highway - Fall in New England



With no kids home yesterday we decided to take a drive up to the Kancamagus Highway in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  According to the KancamagusHighway.com, New Hampshire's Rt. 112 is well known as one of the best fall foliage viewing areas in the country.  It did not disappoint.




There were so many viewpoints and parks along the way, but most were so crowded you had to park on the highway.  We were a little excited when we saw this one as there were actually empty parking spaces.  I was even more excited when I saw they had restrooms, until I saw this sign.

{The bathroom doors were boarded up with these signs on them.}

{I'd say the beautiful views made up for the lack of facilities.}

As I was taking this next picture, Mike pointed out the sign that we were passing.  It read, Kancamagus Pass.  Elevation 2,855 feet.  We still can't get over the fact that the highest point in New Hampshire (Mt. Washington at 6,288 feet) is not much higher than the town in New Mexico we lived in.  


Here was a place we were told by friends we had to stop at.  Someone here had ripped the boards off the restrooms, so they were open.  With no one working in our National Parks, I'm glad I had that pack of tissues with me!  :)



{Cookie is NOT an outside dog, but she did great with all the stairs and walking.}


{Stealing an idea from our daughter who takes pictures of her feet wherever she goes.}


We ended our drive across the "Kanc" with dinner at Hart's Turkey Farm Restaurant in Meredith, New Hampshire.  We both had "small" turkey plates thinking we'd save room for dessert.  I just about exploded after finishing my Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce (Oh my gosh - SO good!).  Mike couldn't even finish his GIANT Apple Crisp with ice cream....and we are dessert people!

We took the scenic route home instead of the freeway (or highway or turnpike or whatever it is they call it here in New England).  I figured out this morning that we drove at least 277 miles in all yesterday.  We had a blast.

To read other posts in this series, go HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment