Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fall Baking {Banana Bread *Almost* Fail}



Banana bread doesn't really say "Fall", but fall is when I really start baking and we love banana bread!


I've been wanting to bake banana bread to send to the college kids and decided I'd better do it today if I want it to get to them by the weekend before the post office closes.  I decided to double the recipe so we could keep some for us too.

So...I'm looking at the recipe, doubling all the numbers and I go to add the sugar, but I looked at the number of cups for flour and doubled that number instead!  (That meant I quadrupled the sugar!)  I wasn't sure at first, so I kept tasting it.  I have a sweet tooth, for sure, but this was awful!  I was almost done mixing when I realized what I'd done so I had to go back and make sure EVERYTHING was quadrupled.  It barely fit in my mixing bowl and I had a MESS.  I am a clean-as-I-bake kind of girl and the mess was driving me crazy!

I managed to finish the batter, get the bread in the oven, clean the kitchen and wash a million dishes.  (Why were ALL of our bowls dirty??)  Now the bread is almost done and it smells SO good!  I just wish the college kids were HERE to eat it with me!



I use the same recipe my mom always used, but I use butter instead of shortening.  I also add an extra banana.

Banana Bread



2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I use butter, softened)
1 teaspoon soda
2 eggs
3 bananas (I use 4)
1 teaspoon vanilla
a pinch of salt

Cream sugar and shortening (or butter).  Mash banana with soda.  To creamed mixture, add 1 egg, then banana and flour alternately.  Add other egg, vanilla and salt.  Bake in greased 8x4 bread pan at 300 for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours.  (Sometimes mine is finished in 1 hour.  It all depends on your oven.)

Oh, and we LOVE to put peanut butter on ours!!

For other posts in this series, go HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment