Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Did it Work? ??Strawberry?? Pretzel Salad

For Easter I thought I'd make Strawberry Pretzel Salad.  I searched through my cookbooks and couldn't find the recipe anywhere.  So, where do you go when you can't find something?  The internet!  It's all over Pinterest.  Here's a recipe for the "salad".

Strawberry Pretzel Salad
{I used the above recipe, but from a different source.}

As I was gathering my ingredients it dawned on me - Hubby doesn't like strawberries.  Joey's not a big fan of Jell-O.  "I don't think anyone will eat it but me!"

What could I do instead of strawberries??  We decided to leave the fruit out of it.

Pretzel Crust
2 cups crushed pretzels
3/4 cup melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Press pretzel mixture into 9x13 pan.  Bake for 7 minutes.  Set aside to cool.

Here is the pretzel crust after baking.

I drizzled caramel sundae syrup over the pretzels, then sprinkled some Heath Bar bits and mini chocolate chips before adding the topping.


Topping (It's the FILLING if you're using the strawberry/Jell-O as topping)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip

Beat together cream cheese and sugar.  Fold in Cool Whip and spread over pretzel crust.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until well chilled.

It's delicious as is, but it's also good with sliced bananas!  Yum!


I drizzled more caramel topping over the whole thing.



If you'd like to make it with the strawberry topping, here's how you do it.

Topping

2 (3 ounce) packages strawberry Jell-O
2 cups boiling water
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple

In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in boiling water and allow to cool slightly.  Add the strawberries and pineapple and pour over the cream cheese mixture.  Refrigerate until serving time.


1 comment: