Wednesday, July 20, 2011

N is for National Ice Cream Month

July is National Ice Cream month.  The International Dairy Foods Association website says, "In 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day. He recognized ice cream as a fun and nutritious food that is enjoyed by a full 90% of the nation's population. In the proclamation, President Reagan called for all people of the United States to observe these events with "appropriate ceremonies and activities."

I didn't realize this past Sunday was THE day, but it's alright.  We LOVE ice cream in this house and we eat it quite often!

When we lived in Italy, gelato was our favorite form of ice cream. 

Hmmm...Which should we choose?

This was cantelope and pineapple.  I can still remember how it tasted.  It was wonderful!

Our favorite store bought ice cream is Ben & Jerry's.  They have a lot of great flavors to choose from.  Here is one of my favorites.

Our favorite place to go have ice cream is Cold Stone Creamery.  Heaven!

Another favorite place to go?  Grandma & Grandpa's.  There's ALWAYS ice cream at their house.  Hmmm...Wonder where we get our love of ice cream??
{Thanks, Gramp!}

It's Alphabe Thursday!  Go check out Jenny's blog for more of the letter N.


12 comments:

  1. I didn't know that - guess I just found a reason to have some ice cream, not that anyone ever need to reason

    have a cool day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm, ice cream!! I also had the best gellato in Italy... I'll never forget it! Now a days I'm not eating much ice cream but last week someone posted that yummy banana ice cream recipe, which is just pureed frozen bananas pretty much, & I will soon be trying that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY!!! Thanks for posting on Cold stone. I think you should bring me some and I shall bring you some gelato. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We celebrated National Ice Cream Day at our house. We really like for it to be a year long celebration. Our favorite place to go for for ice cream is a local soft serve shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben and Jerry's - mega yum. Almost any of their flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a great idea, National ice cream day.I love ice cream and I could eat it every day but oh that fattening stuff....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nifty, cool post! I wish I liked ice cream. It souds so cooling on these wicked hot, high humidity days.

    Instead I jump in the pool about 12 times a day!

    And pray for fall!

    I enjoyed this cool little post!

    Thanks for linking.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ice cream in any chocolate variety would go down quite well right about now in 100 degree heat!
    Unfortunately, I don't eat it too often because it's not so great for my waistline. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a lover of ice cream myself. We have a great place, Mitchell's, in San Francisco that has wonderful flavors, especially those exotic flavors from the Philippines. As for Ben & Jerry's, I like Chunky Monkey best!

    My Alphabe Thursday is at:

    http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2011/07/alphabe-thursday-n-is-for-new-orleans.html

    Hope you have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not crazy about ice cream, but with it being so hot, it's a good thing to eat. We've been making lots of our own in the handy little electric freezer so it's also been a fun activity for the kids. We even used day lilies in one recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Icecream lover here too :o) I do like soft serve icecream, icecream floats, icecream sandwiches, icecream cake... one of my dad's aunts would always say after dinner, that we "need to have some icecream to settle our stomachs"... it was always fun to have dinner at her place!

    Blessings & Aloha!
    ...having fun catching up on some blog reading! If you get a chance to stop by...please leave a comment so that I know you were there :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait a minute, I'm confused...10 percent of the population does not like ice cream? Huh?

    ReplyDelete