Friday, July 11, 2014

Strawberry Jam


The kids and I went and picked strawberries earlier this week.  I don't think I've done that since high school. It's hard work when you're older and it's hot out!


We ended up with about 10 1/2 pounds of berries.  One daughter wanted to save them all for eating, but I wanted to make/can jam!


This was our first attempt at making jam.  (Of any kind!)


We used Pomona's Universal Pectin.  "Jells with low amounts of any sweetener."  We made it in two batches.  In the first we used two cups sugar, in the second we used one cup.  (I think we like the one cup version better.)

One 1 oz Pomona's Universal Pectin
{source - Amazon}


It turned out good if we do say so ourselves!  I think we may have to empty a few jars and start the whole sealing process over, but it tastes great and it set well.


I'm pretty excited.  It was a lot easier than we thought it would be.  Can't wait to can more.  Pickles, relish, pumpkin, peaches...

Linking up to

1 comment: